Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Little TLC.


The discussion of packing, painting, and money is always a hot topic in my household, especially in such a poor economy. We're always pressing our noses into the local newspapers or snooping on the internet to find our next home; the right home. But who's to say the 'right' home isn't right where we are? I happen to like the house my family and I are currently calling our humble abode: It's in town, conveniently located next to just about everything, it's nice and cozy, though a little crammed, and it's got a wonderful view of the quaint town of Bridgton, something that I find myself marveling at from time to time. To me, it's just right for our family. But, then again, who's to say what the 'right' home is?
Over the past 6 months, or so, my family and I have scoured the streets of downtown Bridgton for 'For Sale' signs taped in the darkened windows of abandoned homes, wondering which one would suit us perfectly. A quick call to a realtor answered that question. In total, I believe we've inspected about 5 houses, all of which were accompanied by "This may need a little work", and "Oh, I like this room" phrases. I remember one particular house I was very fond of, and could see my family living in easily. No, it wasn't because it had a ridiculously large bathroom, or that it had a living space above the garage, it was because of this little room that had a bookshelf that stretched from one side to the other. My mind instantly swam in potential at the sight of it. The room had an emerald green, carpeted floor, and the walls were light brown, vertical panels – so it wasn't overly appealing – but there was just something about it that 'clicked' inside my brain. The second I walked into the room, I could see myself reading in a bean bag chair by the window that exposed the surrounding forest, soaking in the natural sunlight while getting lost in a good story. It just felt so right. That's why I've decided that, in my first house, it is mandatory to have a small, study-like room to read books in or just to relax in.

Though I don't think the most previous house we looked at contained anything as special as that room. Located directly across the street from the house with my favorite room, this house sounds like it may just be our next address. My father, who get's all gung-ho about these sorts of things, especially thinks that this house will be ours, though it does need quite a bit of TLC. Unfortunately, I was at school when my parents went to check out the house, so I wasn't able to get a hands on feel for the place, leaving me without an opinion. It really is too bad, too, because house-hunting is something that I've grown quite attached to. There's just something about seeing a bare house, an empty canvas, with loads of untapped potential that really excites me. I love being able to go, "Oh, I bet this would look great here," and ,"Hmm...what would go in this room?" because it sort of gives me that feeling of inspiration (without all of the hard work that usually follows). But I am a bit nervous for our potential move.
However, I'm sure that wherever we end up, we'll be where we should be. Though it may not be the right place, it'll be our place. And that's all that really matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment