Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Amish You.


As I sit here, on my comfortable, leather couch, typing rapidly on my Macbook Pro, watching mindless television by the dim, electric light of the lamp in the living room, I wonder what it would be like if all of this just disappeared? If the couch disintegrated into a handmade, wooden rocking chair, if my Macbook Pro morphed into an ink pen and a piece of parchment, if the television converted itself into a pasture, and if the electric lamp downgraded into an oil lamp. How different would everything be? 
Personally, I’ve always wanted to, at least, attempt to live an Amish-based lifestyle. There’s just something so enticing about living off the land that you thrive on, knowing that you’re the one that grew the vegetable being consumed at the dinner table, knowing that you’re the one that tended the cows for the milk that night. I think that it would definitely be a technologically sobering experience, and would really open my eyes to see just how dependent the world really is on the electronics swarming around it. We’ve leaned on our cell phones during emergencies, relied on our computers to send that vital message, and we’ve tuned in to our favorite news station to gather the latest information on the happenings around the world. But what would happen if we were stripped off all that? What if we were — and dare I say it — forced to have actual face-to-face communication with other human beings?
I would seriously love to experience the lifestyle of an Amish person, for maybe even a year, just to see what it’s like to live in a place that is almost alien to the current day person. I would enjoy documenting my time as an Amish person to later reiterate my knowledge into a book, spreading my journey for all to see. I think it would be such a great experiment that I’d love to test out one day, though I’m unsure on when that day will come (if it ever will). Perhaps it won’t, but it’s a dream that I’d love to fulfill.
So get prepared butter churners, well pumps, and pastures, because I’m coming. Some way, some how, I’m coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment