Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Good Story.


I'm nosy. Meddlesome. Curious. Use whatever adjective you like. The facts are still the same. I enjoy prying my way into someone's life not to know what's occurring, but to suffice the lack of excitement in my own life. Without other human beings having lives, I myself would not have a life. I rely on those juicy stories about troublesome kids, or the joyous tales of a vacation to make my own life exciting.

My parents constantly remind me to leave my door open during the wintertime because there is no source of heat in my room. I have to thieve the heat from the hallway to keep me cozy, just like I have to do to have some sort of sane life! Even when it isn't cold, I find myself persistently leaving my door wide open to expose my perked ears to a good story about anybody's life but my own. I listen intently for the sound of my father's loud and distinctive laugh, or my mother's trademark "Quiet!" while on the phone, signaling to me that I may be missing an anecdote.
I suppose I inherited this gossip gene from my mother, who is also a sucker for an intriguing story. She is constantly gossiping on the phone to one of her friends about a late night account, or just tid-bits from her day, and I'm always listening in on those conversations. I even find myself following her around the house like a puppy while she gabs, and she always makes a comment about it to me after-wards. I may just have to mark listening down as one of my many hobbies.
My advice to you: When you're bored with your life, move on to someone else's.


No comments:

Post a Comment