Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chicken, HuggerMugger, and my Grammie.


It's not very often that I get to spend time with my Grammie and her friend Natalie without my younger cousins clinging onto them like needles on a pine tree, but last night was one of those exceptions. We all had quite a time not having to occupy the younger kids, and it felt really good going out as a group of adults. Don't get me wrong, I love having my younger cousins around, but sometimes it's nice to just jump ship and swim freely for a while, not tied down by the pestering and hounding that accompanies all young children. And let me tell you, the water was definitely fine.
After working an impromptu shift at my job, I gathered up my things and we headed off to Windham for a bite to eat and stop at the Pet Store, all in celebration of my birthday! (Which, of course, already happened.) With our stomachs a rumble, we pulled into the driveway of Rustlers, a fairly new restaurant, our minds swimming with food. Right when we stepped into the restaurant, Western paraphernalia attacked us, and I knew I was going to be digging into something delicious. Us three opted for a wooden booth, and we made ourselves comfortable before ordering our food. 
It really was a fun time eating over plates of chicken parmesan, steak, and potatoes, and not to mention, satisfying! After a celebratory dinner, we zoomed over to the Pet Store and ogled at all of the animals for sale. One group of ferrets in particular caught all of our eyes, and we found ourselves watching them for what had to be about twenty minutes straight! There was about five of them, and one of them was going around and biting the jugulars of the others, sparking a feud between all of them. Some were fighting in their water bowl, others were brawling on the ground, and a few were begging us to save them. It really was quite a sight, and got me thinking: What if humans were put in their predicament (trapped in a glass box with four other humans, sharing their water and food for all to see)? Would one of the five humans attack the others, or turn people against each other to benefit himself? I can imagine at least one human would go completely mental before too long—I know I would. I can't stand being forced into places for long periods of time, especially if I know I'm not able to escape (not that that has ever happened).
We eventually called it a night after a few games of "HuggerMugger" (which my Grammie calls "HungerMunger"), and boy was I glad. I was out like a light as soon as my head hit the pillow, exhausted after a long, exciting day. Despite having to work the next day, I had a blast—easily one of the best outings of my memory. If there is anybody who knows how to have fun without having to spend a lot of money, it's my Grammie for sure. She really is one of the most creative and loving people I've ever met, and that's why I love her. She is willing to do for others even if others don't do for her, and that's a quality that I one day hope to obtain. She truly is one of my biggest role models in life, and I cherish every day with her.
It's like I always say, "I'm never too old to be with my Grammie." Because I don't know what I'd do without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment